Thursday, September 29, 2011

Who's that?

I figure now is a better time than ever to introduce one of my main collections. Which also is the one collection that people I meet are confused by. The collection is antique photographs, mainly portraits. I have a hefty collection at this point, maybe between twenty and thirty photos. I display them on a wall in my room and my friends like to refer to it as "the dead people wall." It's become a running gag among my friends. However, when I bring new people over there is always that awkward "oh are these your family?" conversation that ends in a "nah they're just random dead people." Although, I guess I do like being weird from time to time.

Without further adieu, here is my collection!


This is the collection before I put it up on the wall. It is mostly strangers except for the young girl on the bottom row. That's my maternal grandmother.

This is an up close picture of my first haul (a haul refers to everything I buy in one take)

I also like collecting daguerreotypes which are one of the first types of photographs. It's basically an exposure on a metal that was then packaged in a little book type case. This is my only one. Lately, it is really hard to find one at a good price. Many dealers over price them because they are antiques and look interesting.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

I bought this one because he's very dapper looking. This one cost about 20 dollars. Which compared to the photos above is kind of expensive. I never pay more than two dollars for a photo.


This collection is one of the ones I am most proud of. I really like to see how photography was used when it first became public. How the portraits are so composed and cold. They very much resemble portrait paintings. They don't really tell much about the person in the photo. They are more of a documentation than a piece of artwork and as a photography major in university, I find it all very fascinating and beautiful.

This collection has been taking the back burner lately because cost of the photos has gone up, but I always keep my eye out for additions.

-The Collector

No comments:

Post a Comment