Thursday, September 29, 2011

What are you listening to?

This is one of my first collections, my vinyl. I started after watching "Almost Famous" when I was 15. In the beginning of the film, the main character, William Miller, gets a collection of vinyl from his sister and something in his brain clicks. The same night that I watched the movie, I went into my dad's study and took the Simon and Garfunkel record "Bookends" and it was just beautiful to me. Not so much the sound, but the album art and inserts. From then on I collected vinyl, both old and new, but mostly new. My first record of my own was "More Adventurous" by my favorite band Rilo Kiley. Every time I buy one, it's like a surprise what is inside. I love finding out what the band chose to do with the insert if they have one at all. At this point my collection has about 150 records. I haven't bought one in a really long time as prices have spiked, but I keep a list of ones I want in my purse so I make sure to look for them.
This is the most recent picture of my collection. I hung up my favorite album art. The bottom left album is actually the first one I had that I mentioned. My record player is the brown box on the right.

I started the collection because the idea of vinyl seemed cool, but I stayed for the album art. I really enjoy the size of the artwork/print and being able to see every detail. Album covers are such a crucial part of an album, it helps the artist/musician get their voice heard.

-The Collector

No comments:

Post a Comment